Fay’s Wind Slams Kite Boarder Into Building
- A very nasty series of squalls were obviously inbound to SE Florida to the naked eye and hours ahead on radar and satellite imagery.
- Two guys rigged up to ride out into it just before it arrived, ten miles apart. One guy ended up with a serious neck fracture (C2, Hangman’s fracture frequently fatal) and the other guy escaped without injury but trashed a $1500. kite.
- Many kiters booked into shore, landed and secured well in advance of the squall winds but obviously not all.
- Some are still indifferent to the hassles, maiming and death, squalls can very easily dish out.
- AVOIDING VIOLENT WEATHER IS USUALLY EASY IN FLORIDA, if you try.